The Intercontinental Cup 2023 is all set to kick-off on June 9, with hosts India taking on Mongolia. This highly anticipated four-nation tournament will see. India compete against Lebanon, Mongolia, and Vanuatu. Organized by the All India Football Federation (AIFF), all matches will take place at the renowned Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneshwar. With the SAFF Championship 2023 following soon after, both tournaments hold immense significance for the Indian national team, setting the stage for their preparation for the AFC Asian Cup 2023 in Qatar.
All matches of the Intercontinental Cup 2023 will be held at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha. This state-of-the-art stadium has witnessed numerous memorable football matches and promises an excellent atmosphere for players and spectators alike.
The Intercontinental Cup 2023 will showcase the talents of four countries:
1. India (FIFA Ranking: 101)
2. Lebanon (Middle East) (FIFA Ranking: 99)
3. Mongolia (East Asia) (FIFA Ranking: 183)
4. Vanuatu (Oceania) (FIFA Ranking: 164)
India enters the tournament on the back of their triumph in the Tri-Nation Series held in Imphal, Manipur. Their recent success will undoubtedly inspire the team to carry their momentum forward and perform admirably in front of their passionate home supporters.
The tournament follows a round-robin format, placing the four teams in a single group. Each team will play three matches against the other teams in the group. Following the round-robin stage, the top two teams will advance to the finals, where they will battle for the coveted championship title.
The Intercontinental Cup 2023 is scheduled to take place from June 9 to June 18, 2023. Here is the full schedule of the tournament:
– June 9, 4:30 pm: Lebanon vs Vanuatu
– June 9, 7:30 pm: India vs Mongolia
– June 12, 4:30 pm: Mongolia vs Lebanon
– June 12, 7:30 pm: India vs Vanuatu
– June 15, 4:30 pm: Vanuatu vs Mongolia
– June 15, 7:30 pm: India vs Lebanon
– June 18, 7:30 pm: Team 1 vs Team 2 (final match after three games)
Under the leadership of captain Sunil Chhetri, India aims to replicate their success from the inaugural edition of the tournament. Head coach Igor Stimac has called up a 41-player squad for the preparatory national camp in Bhubaneswar. From this pool, a final team of 27 players has been selected, which has now been trimmed down to 25 players for the Intercontinental Cup. The squad consists of talented individuals across all positions:
– Goalkeepers: Gurpreet Singh Sandhu, Amrinder Singh
– Defenders: Subhasish Bose, Pritam Kotal, Sandesh Jhingan, Anwar Ali, Akash Mishra, Mehtab Singh, and Rahul Bheke.
– Midfielders: Liston Colaco, Ashique Kuruniyan, Rohit Kumar, Udanta Singh, Anirudh Thapa, Naorem Mahesh Singh, Nikhil Poojary, Jeakson Singh, Sahal Abdul Samad, Lalengmawia Ralte, Lallianzuala Chhangte, Rowllin Borges, and Nandha Kumar.
– Forwards: Sunil Chhetri, Rahim Ali, and Ishan Pandita.
Fans can catch all the action from the Intercontinental Cup 2023 on the Star Sports Network, Disney Plus, and JioTV. The matches will be broadcasted live, allowing fans to witness the thrilling encounters from the comfort of their homes.
Follow IFTWC for the latest updates on Indian Football.